Through a fun and interactive schools programme pupils and teachers can learn about the Wesley family. Pupils will be transported back in time by dressing in 18th century clothing. Susanna Wesley, mother of the Wesley family, will become their teacher for a day. Be on your best behaviour, Susanna will not tolerate naughtiness!
We can also visit schools, providing classes and assemblies, if you are unable to visit us at the museum.
Our schools programme has been developed in conjunction with teachers and in line with the National Curriculum. We can be flexible, so please contact us if you have other ideas you would like to explore.
Knowledge is indeed then an admirable thing, as it is the foundation or basis of wisdom.Susanna Wesley
At the Old Rectory
We offer a day’s programme of activities for up to thirty children in years 4 and 5. The children participate in three activities:
- Guided Tour as Wesley Detectives
- Susanna Wesley’s Home School – pupils will be taught around the kitchen table, just like the Wesley children were, and can dress up in historic clothing
- Schools can choose a third activity in advance of their visit:
- Plant Detectives in the Physic Garden and making a comfrey poultice
- Shock Pots and Loving Cups – pottery activity
- Learning about Portraits – learning about portraits and drawing a classmate.
Download an information pack and booking form below.
Directions to help you find us are on our Plan Your Trip page.
Visits to Schools
We can visit your school to lead assemblies and visit classes in the roles of Susanna and John Wesley. We can also tell the children stories about the Wesley family’s life in Epworth. Download details of these activities below.